Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dare I Say...

...It was "sew" fun?! Ha ha. Okay, so I said it, but I'm kidding. I'm not that big of a dork... am I? Well, regardless, I decided I was going to give sewing another shot. It's not that I hate it, I've just never had any formal instruction so I have to stick with very basic projects. So while my mom was here we went to a couple fabric stores (which was great for her because she needed to feed her knitting habit anyway - right mom?)... and where should I find the most beautiful perfect fabric for my project? Right here in K-town! And come to find out it's owned by the wife of Paul's Firefighter friend. Anyway, I am really sick of my living room being just beige and red. I wanted to incorporate some sage greens and dusty blues so I thought making some new throw pillows for the couch would be a good first step.

So here is my fabric, with the original red pillows behind it to show how perfectly they compliment each other. Floral close up
Stripe close up
The finished product on the couch. Doesn't do it much justice, but oh well.
And I had to take a picture of my "sewing box". This is what an avid crafty person I am. Yep, that's Kialaia's old school box. And yep, those are kitchen shears. And yep, that's a random "fabric pencil" I found... or as I call it, "a regular pencil that writes on fabric". I think this one has princesses on it. Oh, and yep, those are boutonniere pins from my vow renewal. They worked great for strait pins when I couldn't find mine.
And there you have it folks. My big sewing project! There will be more to come. I bought a pattern for a cute bag (I'm in LOVE with bags!) and have already found the perfect fabric... now I just need to build up the guts to try it!




4 comments:

Fuller Family said...

Nice job! I can't not sew to save my life. I don't like to exact... which is a requirement! I'll leave ALL sewing projects to you and my mom. Have a great week! Sure wish we could live closer!

Mary Bradley Black said...

Hi Jen,
So glad you blogged your sewing project 'cause the pic you sent me by phone didn't do them justice! You didn't say how quickly you knocked these out. I was so impressed...from buying the fabric, fixing the sewing machine, measuring and cutting the fabric, sewing and stuffing and then the finish work...all in a few hours. Can't wait for you to do the bag ;-) BTW Kuna has the best knitting shop I've seen in many states!
Lots of Love, Mom

erika~ the inspired mama said...

YaY for sewing!!! your pillows look great!!! yeah, i am in love with bags too... that is why i have to sew a new one every month or so!

so what fantastic knitting shop do you have there in kuna?? hmmm, i am going to have to check it out!

xo,
erika

Joy said...

Rockin'!!!

I just sewed cloth napkins for my first ever completed project. I'm very proud of myself. ;)

No comparrison to pillows, however...