Thursday, February 5, 2009

I know, I know...

I've been really bad about updating my blog and I'm sorry! It's not that we've been busy, in the sense that I hate - where you literally have no time to keep up with your personal life at all - but busy in the sense that "I'm too busy reading this book or snuggling with my family on the couch to answer the phone or update my blog". It's been nice.

So speaking of books, I have read many since Christmas but my absolute favorite (possibly of all time) was one called "Lady of Milkweed Manor". It's by Julie Klassen, and it's her first novel. It's a historical fiction about a young woman who becomes an unwed mother and is shunned by her family. She has to flee to a lying-in home for unwed mothers. The book is about her experience there, how she becomes a wet nurse, and has a lot to do with the sacrifices we make in life and finding peace and love through it all. It is SO GOOD! Julie is a Christian author, which I love because her book is clean. It's not religious or pushy, just written very clean. I've ordered her new book, "The Apothecary's Daughter" and it should be here any day - I can't wait! If I knew how to do the link thingy where you just click on the word "here" or whatever and it takes you immediately to her website I would, but I don't know how. If anyone wants to tell me that'd be great. But I'll just do it the old fashioned way and put her website right here: www.julieklassen.com.

Okay, so what about the kids? Well, I don't have any pics of Brad for today but he has become quite the little reader too. He reminds me of myself at his age. I would sit in my room and read all day. He has finished 2, almost 3 books in one week! He's doing really well in school and got to go snowboarding a couple weeks ago with his grandparents. If he were writing this I'm sure he could find something to complain about, but from the parental point of view - he has a blessed life!

Kialaia started dance class a couple weeks ago and loves it! It's a mix of tap, ballet, and jazz. They will have a recital in May. Bradley will be taking soccer this spring and Paul and I secretly hope that he hates it, because we do. But we're being... nice, I guess... and letting him try it out.
And speaking of all this reading, here is another book I've almost finished. I've listened to Dave Ramsey's talk show for years but this is the first book I've bought. Paul has decided to go to Paramedic school in the fall (unless he lands a full time FF position by then) and we intend to pay cash for it. This book has been so helpful in getting us started on the right path. I think everyone should read this book! We fortunately have been out of consumer debt for 5 years now, so that's good. But this book has been so helpful in teaching us how to save and telling our money where to go instead of wondering where it went at the end of the month (a saying from his book).

Well, I've got to wake the kiddos up for school in just a bit so I need to stop blabbering. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Joy said...

I got Total $$$ Makeover for Christmas from my parents and feel good about already doing some things "right" and challenged to change the way do others. Great book/resource.

I want to read the books you've mentioned. :)

To make a link, there is a button at the top of your posting page that has little chainlinks on it. Click on that and it "should" be obvious what to do from there. Call me if you need help!

Mary Bradley Black said...

Oh Goody you updated your blog! I've been faithfully checking for that picture of my dancing granddaughter...thanks! It's sure nice you're able to have your evenings together after this past year with Paul's schooling and your doula'ing. Looking forward to May.
Love,
Mom