I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper and keep him company
I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper and live by the side of the sea
I'll polish his lamps by the light of day so ships at night can find their way
I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper oh won't that be okay?
We'll take walks along the moonlit bay
Maybe find a treasure too
I love livin' in a lighthouse
How 'bout yoooooou?
Oh I dream of livin' in a lighthouse, baby, every single day
I dream of livin' in a lighthouse, a white one by the bay
So if you wanna' make my dreams come true
You'll be a lighthouse keeper - do!
And we could live in a lighthouse
A white one by the bay -ay - ay
A - won't that be okay
(a ya ta da da da da - boom boom)
Yaquina Head Lighthouse - the tallest on the Oregon Coast. Building commenced in 1782.
It's made of 2 cylinder walls with nothing in between except air. No rebar or any other kind of reinforcements. And it's still standing.... hmmmm... makes you wonder how wonderful "modern" technology really is.
Standing at the bottom looking up at the 110 steps up to the top. It's like, 93 feet or something.
We did it! This is the extremely powerful bulb at the top. It's signal pattern, or "characteristic" is 2 seconds on, 2 off, 2 on, 14 off - repeat. The bulb is a 1,000 watt bulb that increases to 70,000 when on, then projects out 300,000 watts. The science behind it, I have no idea. I'm just proud I remembered all of that from the interpretive center. The lighthouse is still in use today - even with GPS systems and everything.
Proof that little Kialaia made the climb! This staircase she is on are the last 7 steps that take you up to the very top where the bulb is (last picture). The staircase is so old that you have to only have a max of 6 people on them at once, and only one foot on a step at any time. The lady told us it's because they are cast iron and any jumping on them or too much pressure, even by a child Kia's size, could cause them to crack. The man in the suit next to Kia was a great historian who was full of information.

No comments:
Post a Comment